Friday, July 22, 2005

The Genting Trip

Good grief! I need to take a breather. I started a post last Tuesday but lost it. I think I wrote “The Genting Trip was anything but relaxing” and then stopped there.

So to continue my great story about our trip to Genting. As I mentioned, it was anything but relaxing. Imagine, 12 adults and 4 kids (plus one infant) running around the theme park, bundled up in winter clothes, getting knocked around on the roller coasters and stopping to eat/drink/shop/pee/poo every 20 minutes.

We arrived at Genting around 5pm, Friday evening. I had booked two units of the two-room apartments at Ria Apartments, so after unloading the 30 odd bags, sleeping bags, bath tub (Dina), loaves and loaves of bread (my mom) from the cars, we all huddled at the receptionist counter to check in. We huddle because a) It was pouring outside plus the high altitude made it Freaking Cold, so body heat from a relative was, surprisingly and uncommonly, most welcome and b) Everyone was still giddy from the winding ride up the hill so body support from a relative was, again, most welcome.

As it rained the whole day, Friday night was spent indoors, watching TV and playing cards. Sorry Joe, I must have ridden that elevator alone 4 times, but alas, no ghosts made their appearance. Either I wasn’t projecting the right aura or the ghosts themselves were also on holiday.

The next morning, everyone woke up extra early and scrambled for the toilet. Did I mention that each unit only had one toilet? It reminded me a bit of my dorm days, where we had to book the toilet in advance from the person already in there..pstt, after you, me ah? Don’t let anyone else go in!! Many promises, negotiations and threats were made out during this loooong process of getting everybody ready. I believe, in one desperate case, money even exchanged hands. THAT’S how lovey dovey we are in my family.

This is the view from my bedroom window. Kind of nice, huh? I didn’t realize that the cable cars went by outside until I was semi naked, getting dressed. I think I may have flashed some people. Unintentionally, of course. I hope I didn’t; I didn’t actually bring my supermodel bod with me that day.

The view that greeted me in the morning.

The cable car outside my bedroom window.

Lining up to buy tickets was an event of itself. Of course, I HAD to volunteer. How many of you want to go on the rides? How many of you just want to walk around? Yes mom, you still have to pay even if you’re not going on rides. Dania’s a little over 3 but I guess we can say she’s still two and get her in for free. No dad, you do not qualify for senior citizen rates. Not even if you rent out one of their wheelchairs.

I think we spent nearly RM500 on tickets alone.

Below are pictures of us going on the rides/lining up to go on rides. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

Dania and Aqilah taking a Jumbo ride

The kids on the Merry go Round

The next F1 driver in the making.

Dania taking a donkey ride.

Hubby giving milk to Dina during our ride on the cable car.

During one of the many toilet breaks.

I want to take a moment to thank my mom, for being who she is, and for obsessively overpacking her bag and making everyone else overpack too. It was Freezing!!! Pictures of everyone bundled up as below.

Dina, all snug and warm.

Everyone bundled up. How cute is Dania?

Jackets were a must!

Lunch was also an adventure. It rained a little bit in the afternoon, so we went to the indoor theme park and had KFC for lunch. Again, my nobleness got the better of me and AGAIN I volunteered to line up to buy food. It took 4 trays to carry over all the food. Surprisingly, it all disappeared in matter of 20 minutes.

Mom and dad stuffing themselves with KFC.

Dina and ibu at KFC. Dina, after finishing a whole tub of mashed potatoes.

The rides were fab. Well, not as great as Disneyland but still if you have a chance to go to Genting, make sure you try out the Flying Coaster. Even my mom, who’s a MAJOR scaredy cat when it comes to roller coasters, gave it a try. In fact, she rode it twice. Hahahaha...hooraa for my mom!!

My mom, suddenly regretting her impulsive decision to get on the roller coaster.

At the end of the Flying Coaster ride. Notice how much my mom enjoyed herself. :D

We had purchased tickets for two days, so the next day was pretty much the same thing. We checked out of the apartment around 11.30am and decided to walk up the hill to the theme park. It didn’t look that far but at an angle of 30 degrees, walking up that hill gave my inner thighs the workout they so desperately needed. The weather was nicer and it didn’t rain so we went on all the rides until we couldn’t take it anymore. Even Dina went on some rides, like the Ferris wheel and the merry go round. I love that child; she was on super good behavior the whole time we were there.

Dania, Aqilah, Dina and myself taking a ride on the Ferris Wheel.

Taking a breather.

All in all, except for some minor stuff (people cutting in line, poor prayer room situations, horrible signage system), we had a glorious time. Mom has already decided that Langkawi would be the destination for our next family trip. I just need to remind myself NOT to volunteer for anything this time.


Anonymous said...

hantu2 itu.. sudah takut sama kau..

AzaLea said...

Watch Rashid's face as he was "milking" Dina. Priceless as I may say? He he macam dah letih jer.


huhuhu long... i simply love the looks of your mum n dad on the roller coaster. it takes a lot of guts for them to even consider going on one.

ayam's scowling face tells it all... penat eh?

great family trip long!