CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 08, 2007

A Birthday Note to Dania Jazmin - 5 Years Old

My dearest Dania,

My little girl is not so little anymore. You're 5..FIVE!! How did this happen? It seems like just yesterday you were still nursing and still learning to walk. You used to be scared of thunderstorms but now you relish watching the lightning and listening for the thunder.

I apologize for putting up your birthday note a week late. I apologize for not being able to put on a proper birthday party for you. Not that I didn't want to; I had even done some research on how to put on a princess themed birthday party. But alas, as always, work crawled its way into my schedule and I found myself with no time to buy the princess wings or even create the invitation cards. I promise, next year, we'll make a big deal of you turning 6. We'll invite the queen or Paklah. Heee...or maybe just hit the nearest food court with your school mates. Whichever's cheaper.

I did however have time to get you a cake. Big shout out to Auntie Noresh for making such a nice blueberry cheesecake, complete with a smiling sun and a colorful rainbow. I loved the way your face lit up when you saw it. "Thank you ibu for buying me this cake." Over and over again. Enough with the gratitude, my girl. Ibu feels guilty enough. I can't wait for your sweet 16th birthday to see the look on your face when I buy you that pimped out BMW your abah has been dreaming about. Yeah right, like that's going to happen.

Your Uncle Saiful bought you another cake when we went back to Melaka and your aunts lavished you with presents. Thank you for being such a great big sister and sharing your new colour pencils with your sister. Although I must admit, it would be hard to horde everything for yourself when someone is pulling your hands away from the colouring book and screaming in your ear.

I'll remember to say "please" nicely next time.

I just want to write so much about how much you've grown in a year. You've started pre-school and that's been such an easy major transition that I've been counting my blessings. You love school and all that school can offer, you talk about School with a Capital S. You love everything except for Spelling. Spelling is a pain. Spelling is no fun. I know you know it but you no likey. I admit there have been times where I've gritted my teeth to stop myself from yelling at you for not even trying to learn your spelling. My dear girl, there are times when you just have to do things, no matter how much you don't like it. Like waking up early and going to work. Or bathing. Or breathing, for that matter. Way to much work just to stay alive.

Last week, we took you and your sister on the Komuter to MV. You talked and described to me the things you saw on the way. We all had a great time, eating at Chillies and getting the free balloons. We were all poofed on the ride back home. Luckily we got seats so you sat on my lap and we took in the sights in silence. 10 minutes into the ride, you took my hand and laid it on your chest. You rubbed my fingers with your thumb the exact same way I do yours whenever we're holding hands. It was at that moment I thought, This is the reason I became a Mother!!
My dearest Buttercup,

I just want to tell you again how much I cherish you. How much I love our time together. How much I wish we had more.

I want to thank you for all the laughs and good times together. Thank you for all your funny jokes and antics. Thank you for all your unlimited love.

You are the most beautiful child a mother could ask for. And I hope you know just how much you mean to me.

Happy fifth birthday, Manja.

Love, Ibu.

8 comments:

NORA ANSHAR said...

dear dania,

year in year out, your ibu never fails to write a beautiful dedication for your birthday (although this year agak lambat kan) and i'm proud to say, i've never missed reading each and everyone of them.

happy birthday princess! hope you had a wonderful one and many more to come. may Allah bless you always with rezekis from the four corners of the earth.

thank god you liked the cake! my gut instinct told me that you would have wanted a barbie or princess cake but your ibu asked me to do one with rainbow and sunshine. tak leh la nak derhaka kat ibu kan coz she's the one paying. but now i know better than to trust your ibu. so next year, insyaAllah, you'll get your barbie ok (that's if you're still into it la).

ehh along... sorry la. panjang pulak aku membebel.

Ann always said...

can't wait for my own little girl to grow up and be my shopping buddy

mary bishop said...

Happy 5th Birthday Dania!

Along, time really does fly, it seems like yesterday she was just a baby! She has grown up to be a beautiful little girl with lots of spunk, I can tell.

My best wishes to your little princess!!

Along said...

Noresh: Thank you for your wishes and thanks again for the cake. The kids loved it.

Ann: The time will come soon, before you're even ready.

MB: Hi there!! Glad you dropped by. I lost your link. And thanks again for the wishes.

Halwafy said...

Happy Birthday Dania..!

Cantik Dania pakai baju kurung..warna merah lagi :)

nuhaafnan said...

happy belated bday, sweet dania! this would have been a mushy dedication if it wasn't for that 'breathing' joke.

You're hilarious lah!

Trina said...

She is so beautiful! Happy birthday!

sitynuress said...

happy belated birthday dania!!!!